Unfortunate dynamic linking for everything

Richard Coleman richardcoleman at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 23 15:26:52 PST 2003

David O'Brien wrote:
> We should build /bin/sh static and be done with the argument.
> Or rather, lets find a /bin/sh interactive user and have him argue that
> /bin/sh needs NSS support.  I dare say that will be a thread two orders
> of magnitude shorter than this one.

Statically linking /bin/sh wouldn't be that big a deal.  It would be
trivial to add a port to compile a dynamic version of sh for customers
that *really* want sh.  Personally, I can't remember a customer
specifically requesting that.

You would need to make sure that startup scripts never use tilde
expansion.  I'm not sure how common that is with RCNG.

But it would be sorta odd to have statically linked versions of sh in
both /bin and /rescue.

Richard Coleman
richardcoleman at mindspring.com