HEADS UP: /bin and /sbin are now dynamically linked

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Sun Nov 23 13:06:21 PST 2003

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 02:42:58AM +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 5:22 PM -0800 2003/11/22, David O'Brien wrote:
>
> > Please, NO.  There wasn't an FTP client available for this type of
> > recovery pre-/rescue, there shouldn't be one now.
>
> 	Why?  Why cut your nose off to spite your face?  Even though this
> capability may not have existed before, why shouldn't we have it now?

Lets build all of /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin static then.  You
would have all kinds of capability you didn't before.

/rescue is the consession made between those that want a dynamic / and
those that want a static /.  Its purpose is only to allow one to do the
things they could before with a static /.  It is not to become a can or
worms that ends up being a duplicate of 50% of the system.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)