printing problems lpr/lpd misbehavior ?

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Sun Nov 23 09:30:42 PST 2003

In a message written on Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 05:42:44PM +0100, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Sorry, but *you* are the "crappy port".  CUPS is intentionally split
> into several ports so that the parts that other ports depend on
> (cups-base) can be installed separately from the front-end (cups-lpr)
> and the only port that depends on the front-end is the meta-port,
> which itself has no dependents.

One thing I notice is if you select "KDE" during the install you
get enough cups to print, but none of the command line front ends.
I've helped about 20 people with this "problem".  I'm not sure if
a better solution is to make the "KDE" master target include the
command line utilities or to just make cups into one bit port.
However, as it works now it doesn't make a lot of sense.  You're
installing a huge windowing system but you skimp on a few hundred
k of command line utilities that people expect to exist.