HEADS UP: /bin and /sbin are now dynamically linked

Bruce Evans bde at zeta.org.au
Sat Nov 22 22:06:31 PST 2003

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> In message: <3FC02538.7040903 at mindspring.com>
>             Richard Coleman <richardcoleman at mindspring.com> writes:
> : M. Warner Losh wrote:
> :
> : > : I agree.  termcap.small is amazingly uncurrent.  However, perhaps some
> : > : merging and reducing is in order.  Why is a full cons25 or vt2xx needed?
> : > : vi only needs a few capabilities.  I think we mostly use copies of large
> : > : termcap entries because copying the whole things is easier.
> : >
> : > You have a good point.  My termcap was done so that we could run a
> : > number of applications...
> : >
> : > Grepping seems unsatisfying to find out which keys are used.  Do you
> : > have a list?

nvi/cl/cl_bsd.c has a possibly complete enough list in its terminfo
translation table.

> : Is the extra maintenance worth it to save a few hundred bytes?

Probably not, if this is mainly for use by rescue on larger (multi-megabyte)
disks.  I used an 8K termcap on 1200MB floppy rescue disks many years ago,

> Generating them automatically can be kind of difficult.  termcap
> doesn't change that often.

As someone pointed out, ed is sufficient.  It's all we had on the root
partition.  I remember how to use it mainly from using it there.

Bruce