dumb question 'Bad system call' after make world

Barney Wolff barney at databus.com
Sat Nov 22 10:13:35 PST 2003

On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 11:42:04PM +1100, Bruce Evans wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Barney Wolff wrote:
>
> > Will somebody please tell me when "make world" is ever correct in the
> > environment of the last several years?  I've been unable to understand
> > its continued existence as a target.
>
> >From my normal world-building script:
>
>     DESTDIR=/c/z/root \
>     MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/c/z/obj \
>     time -l make -s world > /tmp/world.out 2>&1

Oh, so it's only correct when you're not really installing world on
the system you're building on?  Would replacing this with
( make buildworld && make installworld ) really be a hardship?
Must we continue to invite innocents to clobber their systems?

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.