dumb question 'Bad system call' after make world

Barney Wolff barney at databus.com
Fri Nov 21 18:44:19 PST 2003

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 05:35:59PM -0800, Doug White wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Don Bowman wrote:
>

> > So i have a machine freshly installed from 5.1 mini iso.
> > I did a cvs co of latest current sources, and accidentally
> > did a 'make world' instead of 'make buildworld'.
> > Now i just get 'Bad system call' when i try to do anything.
> > i need to get the correct kernel on there, does anyone have a
> > suggestion for how to fix this?
>
> If you have it, boot off of the mini iso, pull down and burn CD 2, then
> use the fixit facility to start a fixit shell with teh CD.  From there
> manually install the new kernel (it'll be in
> /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KERNELNAME/kernel) and boot from it.  From there you
> should be able to finish the installworld.

Does make world build a kernel?  I didn't think so, and OP's message
indicates that make world is all he did.  I suspect re-install is the
best answer now.

Will somebody please tell me when "make world" is ever correct in the
environment of the last several years?  I've been unable to understand
its continued existence as a target.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.