Vinum breakage - please update UPDATING

Marcus Reid marcus at blazingdot.com
Fri Nov 21 16:49:15 PST 2003

Hi Greg,

On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 11:05:38AM +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Friday, 21 November 2003 at 15:42:12 -0800, Marcus Reid wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just upgraded a -CURRENT box this afternoon to discover that vinum
> > is broken. If I hadn't done dumps of my working world beforehand I
> > would be in pretty sad shape. Should UPDATING make note of this
> > breakage?
>
> No.  UPDATING is for things that will change relatively permanently.

Ah, OK. Thanks; I had no idea how long it was expected to be broken.

> > It would have saved me some embarassment, and I'm sure others are
> > about to clobber their machines.
>
> As far as I can tell, this breakage doesn't harm the data.  Others
> have reported that it works on older versions of CURRENT.  I hope to
> have it fixed this weekend.

FYI, it didn't destroy any data. vinum dumpconfig reported everything
was fine, but there was no mount point in /dev/vinum. When I reverted
to an earlier -CURRENT snapshot, it worked without a hitch.

Thanks for the response; I should not have shouted so loudly about
updating UPDATING. I just wish I had read the CURRENT list before
shooting myself in the foot.

Sincerely,

Marcus