Unfortunate dynamic linking for everything

Cy Schubert Cy.Schubert at komquats.com
Thu Nov 20 21:05:08 PST 2003

In message <078a01c3afe0$5e2f5040$b9844051 at insultant.net>, "boyd, rounin"
write
s:
> From: "Bruce M Simpson" <bms at spc.org>
> > During my time in an investment bank, installations were usually hosed
> > in this way by human error (systems administrators removing a file by
> > accident, etc) ...
>
> yup, it's rare i've seen flakey h/w.  but i do remember one sysadmin
> (when i was a contract sysadmin) who on day 2 chown'd the whole
> source tree to himself on a development m/c.  ugly.  there were
> backups but 'that would be too costly [in time]' to do a clean restore.

I've seen that too. An end user got permission from management to the root
account, e.g. management ordered us to give her the root pw on a Tru64 box.
She chowned every file on the system to herself. Very ugly indeed.

Cheers,
--
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert at komquats.com>        http://www.komquats.com/
BC Government                     .                       FreeBSD UNIX