Unfortunate dynamic linking for everything

Richard Coleman richardcoleman at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 20 18:29:29 PST 2003

boyd, rounin wrote:

> From: "Dimitry Andric" <dimitry at andric.com>
>
>     % sudo ldd /sbin/init
>     /sbin/init:
>         libutil.so.3 => /lib/libutil.so.3 (0x28074000)
>         libcrypt.so.2 => /lib/libcrypt.so.2 (0x2807f000)
>         libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5 (0x28097000)
>
>     Yes, working fine here. What should the problem be?
>
> the day /lib gets smashed.
>
> you're building a house of cards.  once, if /etc/init and
> /bin/sh and some other pieces where in place a smashed
> file-system could be easily fixed.  now you have to have
> 3 shared libs and a viable /lib.
>
> do you want systems that work?  or houses of cards?

I would prefer to solve this problem using a fixit floppy or cdrom
anyways.  I don't think that creates a house of cards.  My systems work
just fine.

But I've often wondered how frequently a production system has such
problems.  I've been a sysadmin for many years and can't remember this
ever happening.  It's much more common to blow a hard drive, or have
flaky memory, etc.

Richard Coleman
richardcoleman at mindspring.com