Unfortunate dynamic linking for everything

Christopher Vance vance at aurema.com
Thu Nov 20 15:42:05 PST 2003

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 12:23:16AM +0100, boyd, rounin wrote:
>you're building a house of cards.  once, if /etc/init and
>/bin/sh and some other pieces where in place a smashed
>file-system could be easily fixed.  now you have to have
>3 shared libs and a viable /lib.
>
>do you want systems that work?  or houses of cards?

Personally, I think init should be static, and can't think of any way
it would benefit from shared libraries.  I'm not qualified to comment
on the various things people have said about /bin/sh.

(Possibly irrelevant data point: Solaris 10, if it ever flies, will
supposedly have only shared libraries.)

Given that you've got a knob if you really care enough to change the
default, static init and /rescue should be adequate to get past all
the other bickering here, so please stop it already...

--
Christopher Vance