Multifunction USB devices

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Thu Nov 20 03:22:27 PST 2003

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 08:12:49PM -0500, Jeff Walters wrote:

> I have an Epson printer/scanner combo device (CX5200) which works just
> fine either as a printer or as a scanner (when I add the vendor and
> product codes to usbdevs and uscanner.c) but not both simultaneously.
> Currently I compile ulpt and my customized uscanner as modules, and
> to switch functions I power the device off, unload/load the
> appropriate kernel module, and power the device back on.
>
> I'm assuming a patch to add the CX5200 vendor/device codes to usbdevs
> and uscanner.c in the way I'm doing wouldn't be accepted into CURRENT
> since the resulting usage of it is a bit of a hack.  Is that right?

The right fix would be to convert uscanner into a function level driver
for scanner combinations - currently it's a device level driver.
ulpt does the right thing.
Compare USB_MATCH and USB_ATTACH functions to get an idea about the
difference.
Adding device identification to uscanner is required anyway, because
there is no class definition for scanners.

ticso at bwct.de                                  info at bwct.de