Unfortunate dynamic linking for everything

dyson at iquest.net dyson at iquest.net
Wed Nov 19 21:47:49 PST 2003

Tim Kientzle said:
> Richard Coleman wrote:
> > It seems /bin/sh is the real sticking point.
>
> There is a problem here: Unix systems have historically used
> /bin/sh for two somewhat contradictory purposes:
>    * the system script interpreter
>    * as a user shell
>
> The user shell must be dynamically linked in order
> to support centralized administration.  I personally
> see no way around that.  Given that many users do
> rely on /bin/sh, it seems that /bin/sh must be
> dynamically linked.

It isn't necessary for the shell to be dynamically linked
(efficiency issue WRT the sparse allocations and greater
COW overheads/etc) for the shell to programmatically link in
a module for optional feature sets.  This can even be
placed under a libc call (which then wouldn't encumber
the shell unless the feature was active and increase the
footprint of generally all libc routines.)

John