Unfortunate dynamic linking for everything

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Wed Nov 19 09:25:42 PST 2003

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 09:25:35AM -0500, Ken Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 09:19:50AM -0500, Leo Bicknell wrote:
>
> > To boot a machine into single user mode you need a kernel, init,
> > and /bin/sh (minimally).
>
> Roughly the same thing was bothering me last night.  You get a chance
> to specify the shell when init is in the last phase of getting you to
> single-user mode so you can say /rescue/sh at that point.  init is
> another story and I asked someone about that, they said it either is
> or will shortly be a loader option so you can override that to be
> /rescue/init that way.

set init_path=/rescue/init

It's rather non-intuitive. It works, but having a static /sbin/init
avoids having to muck around in the loader in order to get to the
rescue bits. If you need the rescue bits, you pretty much always
need to use /rescue/init anyway. A dynamicly linked /sbin/init just
makes it harder to get to the rescue bits, so it makes sense to
link init(8) staticly. Especially since there's no advantage to
dynamic linking init(8) that compensates for the inconvience.

 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel at xcllnt.net