Unfortunate dynamic linking for everything

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed Nov 19 06:19:54 PST 2003

In a message written on Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 08:10:59AM -0600, Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:
> statically.  Unless we are talking about /bin/sh, they probably already
> have to go through special measures to get a statically linked binary.

Something has been bothering me about the whole /bin/sh function,
and today when fixing a box I realized what it was.

To boot a machine into single user mode you need a kernel, init,
and /bin/sh (minimally).  It would seem to me that alone is a good
argument for those three things to be static.  Yes, I'm one of those
people who rebuilds kernels without modules.  The kernel problem
doesn't bother me as much, as you can always boot without loading
modules, so it's not really a "part of the required kernel is
dynamic" problem.

Outside of these issues I have no problem with a dynamic root and a
/rescue.