Unfortunate dynamic linking for everything

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Tue Nov 18 17:20:13 PST 2003

At 6:42 PM -0600 11/18/03, masta wrote:

>Besides, I see nothing preventing anybody from building
>their system with static worlds,

true...

>and there is nothing stopping anybody from putting /rescue
>in the PATH before /bin or /sbin.

Note that this will not have the same performance as the
older all-static setup, because each binary in /rescue
is a crunchgen'ed combination of *all* the commands there.
They're all hardlinked together.  Eg:

(332) # ls -l /bin/cp /rescue/cp
-r-xr-xr-x    1 root  wheel   113372 Nov 16 02:29 /bin/cp*
-r-xr-xr-x  131 root  wheel  3807836 Nov 16 02:30 /rescue/cp*

I have no idea what kind of a difference that would make,
I'm just saying that it is different...  :-)

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu