5-CURRENT totally broken on AMD64 in 32-bit mode

David O'Brien obrien at FreeBSD.ORG
Tue Nov 18 11:18:00 PST 2003

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 10:12:03AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> The kernel changes of the past week has totally turned my AMD64 machine
> that I use in 32-bit mode running FreeBSD/i386 (GENERIC):
>
> OK boot -v
> cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
> instruction pointer     = 0x0:0xa00
> stack pointer           = 0x0:0xffe
> frame pointer           = 0x0:0x0
> code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0x0, type 0x0
>                         = DPL 0 , pres 0, def32 0, gran 0
> processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, vm86, IOPL = 0
> cuyrrent process        = 0 ()
> kernel: type 30 trap, code=0
> Stopped at      0xa00:  cli
> db> tr
> (null)(0,0,0,0,0) at 0xa00

You get a panic (trap 30) that you can hit 'c<enter>' and continue from.
It's actually only a trap, not a panic.  I am trying to figure out the
exact problem now.  It seems that the vm86 code is very buggy and enables
interrupts during the early boot.  You can try
http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/vm86.patch