Recovery? recent "make world" rendered system unusable (64 bit change)

Barney Wolff barney at databus.com
Tue Nov 18 09:47:33 PST 2003

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 11:50:22AM -0500, Chris Shenton wrote:
> I've been running 5.1-CURRENT for a while and a couple nights ago did
> a "make world".  After a couple hours building, my system was
> unusable.  Critical binaries like "rm", "ls", "mtree", "sh" failed,
> reporting "Exec format error".  I can't login, not even single user.
> I can no longer even boot single user.

Re-install/upgrade from a cd.  Upgrade should leave your files alone.

I've argued before that "world" should be removed as a target, as I
don't believe it's ever correct to do it.  Why leave this gun pointed
at people's feet?

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.