upgraded to CURRENT = system is dead

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Mon Nov 17 15:17:19 PST 2003

At 10:37 AM +0100 11/17/03, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>Antoine Jacoutot <ajacoutot at lphp.org> writes:
>>  Here is what I did:
>>  $ cvsup blablabla...
>  > $ make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL &&
>  >        make install kernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
>
>There's not much point in 'make buildkernel' if you haven't
>done 'make buildworld' first.

Uh.  /usr/src/UPDATING explicitly says:

20031112:
    [...]  You should build and boot a new kernel BEFORE doing a
    `make world' as the new kernel will know about binaries using
    the old statfs structure, but an old kernel will not know
    about the new system calls that support the new statfs
    structure.

We generally recommend doing a buildworld first, but it has
to be done in a different order for this upgrade.

However, if I am correctly reading the section quoted from
Antione's message, the problem might be that he did:

              'make install kernel ...'
instead of:  'make installkernel ...'

Users need to specify a single target of 'installkernel',
with no blanks between the two words.  Antoine, was that
just a typo, or did you really do 'make install kernel'?

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu