Unattended reboot was Re: signal 12's everywhere on Current with update this morning.

Edwin Culp edwinlculp at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 16 03:38:52 PST 2003

--- Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> wrote:
> "masta" <masta at wifibsd.org> writes:
> > I found that if I put /rescue in my PATH before
> all the normal stuff,
> > things tend to work (like ls).  For me I got
> caught doing the:
> > make buildworld
> > make buildkernel KERNCONF=FOO
> > make installkernel
> > mergemaster
> > make installworld
> >
> > BAM! installworld fails, and the signal 12's start
> to manifest.
>
> Reboot and run installworld.  Your new kernel will
> run both old and
> new binaries just fine.

I tried that and it didn't work because some of the
binaries didn't get installed and caused signal 11's
???  So what I did was scp /bin/* /usr/bin/* /sbin/*
/usr/sbin/* /usr/libexec/*  Certainly not the most
efficient solution and I probably shouldn't have had
to do it but I had 4 servers stuck and only one up to
dade and working with the changes and I just wanted to
get through this and cut my losses :-) (But that is
another story.)  You might want to have a cdrom or
another machine that is up to date and readily
accessable, just in case.

Good luck,

ed