Using Geom to mirror root partitions?

Josef Karthauser joe at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 14 15:20:11 PST 2003

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 12:09:34AM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20031114225127.GA31017 at genius.tao.org.uk>, Josef Karthauser writes:
>
> >I've been a bit out of touch with developments recently.  I was
> >wondering whether it's possible to mirror root partitions across two
> >drives yet?  I seem to remember that this was something that geom could
> >help with, but I've no idea as to whether it's a reality yet.
> >
> >Does anyone know?
>
> We're not there yet.

I've got a machine with two drives 120gb drives, which is going to a
colo.  If I configure it to use one drive, will I at some point be able
to remotely reconfigure it to say use the second drive as a mirror as
the physical layer, i.e. if the first drive goes bang then I can get the
second drive to boot via the bios and still have the machine work - or
am I dreaming?

Joe
--
Josef Karthauser (joe at tao.org.uk)	       http://www.josef-k.net/