signal 12's everywhere on Current with update this morning.

eculp at encontacto.net eculp at encontacto.net
Thu Nov 13 06:48:39 PST 2003

I installed an older current snap, Oct 26, on a brandnew dell power edge
with a single Xeon 2.4 GHz cpu and 1G in memory.  It was running great.
I installed everything except the kitchen sink.  Then I decided it was
time to update, I've got serveral other machines weathering the storms.
Bad idea.  It doesn't hang or anything that I can get my teeth into but
it just give signal 12 core dumps on many if not most applications.  I
caught this before finishing an install on another box, yesterday morning.
One of the apps that generates signal 12 is ls so I tried pulling ls
from the other box and it no longer has a problem.  I am at a lost.
Any suggestions for where to start would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

ed