named pipes memory leak?

Lukas Ertl l.ertl at univie.ac.at
Tue Nov 11 04:13:35 PST 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Don Lewis wrote:

> On 10 Nov, Lukas Ertl wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Don Lewis wrote:
> >>
> >> If fifo_open() is interrupted, fifo_close() never gets called, and the
> >> resources are not recovered.  I wish doing the resource recovery in
> >> fifo_inactive() would have worked ...
> >>
> >> Try this patch:
> >
> > Thanks, your patch seems so solve this problem effectively.
>
> The patch has been committed.  Thanks for testing it.

Unfortunately, we are still seeing a problem here: we are running uvscan
(virus scanner), and while running it we are still seeing increasing unpcb
usage and orphaned unix domain sockets.

We added some debug printfs to the fifo routines and found out that
fifo_cleanup is called from fifo_close with a vnode which has v_usecount
== 2 so the socket close calls aren't reached.

Any ideas?

regards,
le

Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl at univie.ac.at
UNIX Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
Vienna University Computer Center      Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
University of Vienna                   http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/