Kernel Panic

Steve Ames steve at energistic.com
Tue Nov 4 07:47:45 PST 2003

For the past few weeks my -CURRENT system has been locking up. With a
recent kernel (from 11/2) the following appears:

Fault trap 12:  page fault while in kernel mode
fault virtual address = 0x24
fault code  = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer  = 0x8:0xc049d0db
stack pointer  = 0x10:0xe009cc88
frame pointer  = 0x10:0xe009cc9c
code segment  = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
   = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process  = 23 (irq10: dc0)
trap number  = 12
panic: page fault
syncing disks, buffers remaining... 6800 6800

That bit about the current process and 'dc0' kind of makes me believe
it was a dc driver issue? I may replace that card (with an ethernet
card that doesn't use dc) and see if the problem goes away.

Am I correct in believing this is a dc issue? If so, hope the above
helps in diagnosing the problem. Otherwise... any other pointers?

-Steve