Memory Mangement Problem in 5.1-RELEASE

Ahmed Al-Hindawi civilized_tafeely at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 25 09:41:51 PDT 2003

This is not the problem. We know what is the purpose of swap data. It is
swaping when there is more than suffiecient memory to do so. There is disk
activity on the swap disk (I have a seperate disk for faster access) even
when there is enough memory to suit my request and more.

It is simply swapping when it shouldn't.

Opening Mozilla, Opera, Netscape, DrJava, jEdit, Emacs, PrBoom, XBubbles,
and Nautilus at the same time on a 233Mhz machine should fill up the memory
(160Mb) but instead it has decided to use the swap disk for a measly 50Mb
which I do have in RAM!!