Buildworld fails in 5.1

Tim Kientzle kientzle at acm.org
Mon Jul 21 09:42:57 PDT 2003

Gordon Tetlow wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 09:36:37AM -0700, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>>Hmmm...  Is that what .ORDER is for?  To work around a
>>parallel make that gratuitously rebuilds things?
>
> Right it serializes build dependencies. The problem with crunchgen ...

I would argue "the problem with make"... ;-)  I think it's pretty
clear that

a b c: foo
     buildabc

does not require that 'buildabc' be run three times.  Make
should be able to note that 'buildabc' was already spawned
for 'a' and just add 'b' and 'c' to the wait list for
that operation, rather than running additional copies.

Tim