Error building /rescue on -current

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at efn.org
Mon Jul 14 10:54:51 PDT 2003

Tim Kientzle wrote this message on Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 10:50 -0700:
> So far, every report of this problem has had these two
> elements in common:
>
>  * parallel builds
>  * dhclient/client/clparse.o
>
> I've tried tracing through the crunchgen-generated Makefile for
> /rescue (/usr/obj/usr/src/rescue/rescue/rescue.mk) and the
> dhclient makefile (/usr/src/sbin/dhclient/Makefile) and have yet
> to come up with anything.  (To be honest, I haven't even managed
> to reproduce this problem.)  Both of these makefiles are pretty
> peculiar, and I had the devil of a time getting it to work correctly
> for serial builds, so I shouldn't be surprised that it's causing
> problems.
>
> Maybe someone who understands parallel make better than I do
> could suggest something to look for?

I happen to notice an interesting problem on my build.. (-j3 on a sparc64
box):
make: don't know how to make /usr/obj/usr/src/world/src/rescue/rescue//usr/src/w
orld/src/sbin/dhclient/client/clparse.o. Stop
*** Error code 2
1 error
*** Error code 2
1 error
*** Error code 2

notice the rescue//usr.  I'm not sure what to make of it, but it seems
like this might confuse it.  Also, why are we sticking obj files for rescue
in the source dir of the program? shouldn't they be in the rescue dir?
(so that they don't get globbered when the regular build happens.)

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579