Making a disk bootable...

Mark Murray mark at grondar.org
Mon Jul 14 08:04:05 PDT 2003

Hi Ian!

Ian Freislich writes:
> I've used fdisk to create one slice (da0s1).  I then used bsdlabel
> to make make the partitions a, b, e and f.  Then to put the boot
> block on 'disklabel -B /dev/da0s1' - if I 'disklabel -B /dev/da0'
> it trashes the label.  Then I copy all my filesystems off the IDE
> drive I'm trying to rid myself of onto the SCSI disk.  When I tell
> the BIOS to boot off SCSI, it complains 'Missing Operating System'.

I've seen this before, and I think it is a geometry problem. Boot
the system in verbose mode (off the floppy), and go back and see what
the boot probe thinks the geomtery is. (blat the boot partitions first,
if you can).

Then, when you fdisk, make damn sure that the probed geometry is used.
After that, you shouldn't have probelms. If that fixes your problem,
please report it in detail to phk at freebsd.org so we can get a more
permanent fix.

Mark Murray
iumop ap!sdn w,I idlaH