The upcoming GCC 3.3+ upgrade

David O'Brien current at FreeBSD.ORG
Wed Jul 9 15:23:19 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 05:09:56PM -0400, Alexander Kabaev wrote:
> Unfortunately, importing a newer GCC means that we'll have yet another
> ABI breakage on our hands. GCC 3.3 is more strict in C++ area and

Just to be clear, there is no ABI breakage -- there is much more stricter
adherence to standards (one might call it API breakage).  There was a
decicision by the GCC Steering Committee to not fix C++ ABI bugs between
3.2 and 3.3 by default.  One can use the most bug-free(ahearance) to the
C++ ABI standard using a commandline option.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)