Experiences with ath(4)

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Tue Jul 8 07:13:32 PDT 2003

>> > *) Powersavemode seems to be not supported at all (and thus it eats the
>> > battery like a "make world"):
>> >
>> ># ifconfig ath0 powersave on
>> > ifconfig: SIOCS80211: Invalid argument
>>
>> man ath(4)
>
> The man page says "not fully", not "not supported at all".

I'll fix the man page :)  Actually, there are several things going on wrt
power.  There is the 802.11 power save mode of operation where the station
goes to sleep and wakes up in time to get a DTIM messages from the AP.  And
there are settings in the Atheros h/w that allow you to force the chip into
a power saving mode between listening for beacons or otherwise
automatically waking up to process frames.  The former is not supported but
many firmware-based cards do support it.  The latter is what the manual
page refers to.

>> > *) Shared Key Authentication seems to be not supported either:
>> >
>> ># ifconfig ath0 authmode shared
>> > ifconfig: SIOCS80211: Invalid argument
>>
>> Never has been supported under FreeBSD for any 802.11 card (at least not
>> that I'm aware of).
>
> Ah, didn't know that, since ifconfig claims that "shared" is a valid mode.

Valid yes.  Supported no.  Maybe soon.

	Sam