Beta BroadCom 4401 driver

Duncan Barclay dmlb at dmlb.org
Wed Jul 2 17:00:04 PDT 2003


Hello all that are interested

Please try this version of the driver.

http://people.freebsd.org/~dmlb/bcm-0307030043.tar.gz

Improvements:
    - All TX buffers used, and most RX buffers used. I'd like people to play
with changing
      BCM_RX_LIST_CNT near to top of if_bcmreg.h. Maximum is 511 or maybe
512 depending whether
      I've got all the off by one errors out...

    - RX now DMAs directly into mbufs (faster and a lot more robust)

    - LOR on unload gone

    - Doesn't hang the machine with ftp of large files (I hope)

Outstanding:
    - The device stats aren't read

    - I don't know what to add into some of the timer and media routines, if
anyone can suggest what's needed then I would be grateful.

    - CRC offloading

    - RX packet coallesing

For those that can, I would really appreciate some feedback from stress
tests on 100Mb/s networks. Up until now I've only tested on 10MB/s ether to
a Libretto with a Pentium 75. I can happily max out this link.

I'm going to re-do the header file and dependent code so it doesn't use a
verbatim extracts of the Linux driver and then commit it.


All the best

Duncan

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Duncan Barclay" <dmlb at dmlb.org>
To: <freebsd-current at freebsd.org>; <freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2003 7:54 PM
Subject: Very alpha BroadCom 4401 driver


> Hello all
>
> For those of you who have a Broadcom 4401 10/100 Ethernet (not gigabit)
can
> you please try the driver at
> http://people.freebsd.org/~dmlb/bcm-0306291936.tar.gz. Untar it, and you
> should have sys/dev/bcm/* and
> sys/modules/bcm/Makefile. Put these into /sys then
>     cd /sys/modules/bcm
>     make
>     make test
> then use the interface.
>
> If you encounter wierdness, please reboot with -v, and reload the module
and
> recreate the wierdness. Then send me the dmesg output.
>
> The driver is sub-optimal:
>     - only a small % of the TX and RX buffers are used. This can be
changed
> in if_bcmreg.h.
>     - RX DMAs into fixed buffers and then these are copied to mbufs.
>     - the device stats aren't read
>     - I don't know what to add into some of the timer and media routines,
if
> anyone can suggest what's
> needed then I would be grateful.
>     - LOR on unload.
>
> I will be trying to fix these over the next couple of days.
>
> I will be on holiday 5th July to 13th July, so please forgive any delay in
> replying to problems.
>
> Enjoy
>
> Duncan
>



More information about the freebsd-current mailing list