fsck on reboot in 5.x

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Mon Dec 29 20:42:04 PST 2003

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003, Joan Picanyol wrote:

> The other day I had the first power failure on a RELENG_5_1 machine, and
> much to my surprise, it didn't resume normal operation because of fsck
> issues (long lines):
>
> [joan at iaeste-catalunya:~]0 $grep fsck /tmp/dmesg
> WARNING: R/W mount of / denied.  Filesystem is not clean - run fsck
> WARNING: R/W mount of / denied.  Filesystem is not clean - run fsck
> WARNING: R/W mount of /fs/tmp/mount denied.  Filesystem is not clean - run fsck
> WARNING: R/W mount of /fs/home/mount denied.  Filesystem is not clean - run fsck
> WARNING: R/W mount of /fs/std-var/mount denied.  Filesystem is not clean - run fsck
> WARNING: R/W mount of /fs/aegee/mount denied.  Filesystem is not clean - run fsck

/ shouldn't appear in this list. Can you show us your fstab? It seems as
if the pass numbers are wrong.  fsck uses the pass numbers in fstab to
figure out what filesystems to check when.

> So, can anyone enlight me about how to make FreeBSD postpone rw mount of
> dirty fs's until bgfsck has finished?

bgfsck doesn't kick off until the filesystem has been checked for any
critical issues. In your case, it appears that something is keeping fsck
from executing.