backing up ACLs

Tim Kientzle kientzle at acm.org
Mon Dec 29 12:29:00 PST 2003

Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 10:33:29AM -0800, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>
>>It's a tar implementation that handles ACLs,
>>file flags, sparse files, etc, etc, and might
>>be a workable substitute for dump/restore.
>
> With respect, tar variants are not a direct replacement for dump
> variants. I suspect that when you said "workable substitute" it should
> be read as "substitute requiring a fair amount of work" ;-)

I should have said "might allow you to backup systems
using ACLs *today* while you wait for dump/restore
to be updated."  Clearly, dump/restore do need to be
updated, and I did not intend to claim that
any tar implementation was a direct substitute for
any dump implementation.

That said, however, if you're used to crufty old BSD tar
or crufty new GNU tar, you might be surprised at what a
good modern tar implementation can do.

Tim