debugging kse

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Sun Dec 28 10:11:47 PST 2003

* Daniel Eischen <eischen at vigrid.com> [031228 10:02] wrote:

> I don't see why you want to emulate the windows API when it is
> much simpler to add in the necessary pthread bits when threads
> are enabled.  I updated my patch to add in pthread support
> for webclient (see patch-ad):
>
>   http://people.freebsd.org/~deischen/webstone.diffs
>
> I didn't add any of the necessary configure stuff that is
> in your patch.  I also didn't add a synchronization point
> to start the client threads off and running.  The fork()
> method didn't use any so I didn't see why using threads
> would be any different.  I did join to the threads at
> the end, but even that isn't necessary since they will
> continue to run after the main thread ends (until the
> alarm goes off).

There's a couple of reasons why I did what I did...
The configure stuff was so that I didn't stuff other
unix users (I want Mindcraft to take my diffs).
And as far as syncing up with the other threads, I thought
the standard was that if the mian thread exited, then the
whole app exits, so you have to at least join...

> I'm still not sure how to test this.  Do I need a
> web server?

Yes, just one on localhost.

edit the: 'conf/testbed' file to your taste.  and then copy one of
the 'conf/filelist.{whatever}' to 'conf/filelist' and make sure
those files are fetchable, then just run webstone.

--
- Alfred Perlstein
- Research Engineering Development Inc.