Tracking down ata0 reset hang

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Dec 23 14:49:52 PST 2003

> From: Soren Schmidt <sos at spider.deepcore.dk>
> Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 22:58:11 +0100 (CET)
>
> It seems Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > >
> > > Pretty darn wierd. Anyone have any ideas as to why it works when the serial
> > > console AND verbose boot is enabled?
> >
> > I can confirm this on my system, as well. And I do have an explanation
> > (but a fix will probably have to come from Søren.
> >
> > The reason is almost certainly a timing issue. When you boot -v, the
> > resume sends a LOT more data to the screen and when you use -D, it sends
> > it to both the screen and the serial port which is MUCH slower to
> > complete than the screen. This allows SOMETHING to clear or complete or
> > something on resume and all is well.
>
> I think its more likely that we hit the infamous console lockup bug
> thats been around for months (probably a lock messup somewhere).

Well, I spoke too soon. While the use of "boot -D -v" seems to improve
the chance of a recovery, my last attempt failed again. :-(

Not that this really has much impact om me as S3 does not turn off the
backlight making it pretty useless. But I suspect the backlight
resolution is coming and it would be nice to get past this by then.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)