smbfs 4G max file size

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 19 22:23:51 PST 2003

Tim Robbins wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 02:05:05AM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Benjamin Close wrote:
> > >     Whilst tinkering with some backups the other day I noticed that
> > > smbfs capped out at 4G.
> > > Does the protocol restrict it to this limit or is there something else?
> >
> > It is a limitation imposed by the 32 bit file size in bytes field
> > for the over the wire protocol.  It occurs becaus the FreeBSD SMBFS
> > client code uses a slightly older, cruftier version of the SMB
> > protocol (at least this is my understanding).
> >
> > I've acutally suggested a couple of times in the past that someone
> > take the Darwin SMBFS code from MacOS X (10.3, Panther), which is
> > now up on the Apple developer site, and back-port it to FreeBSD.
>
> This is a pain to do without proper change logs or version control
> and there are problems with their choice of licence. In addition,
> porting Apple's code would re-introduce many bugs that have been
> fixed in FreeBSD.

I think you haven't looked at the code in question.  Apple only
applies the APSL to code that it writes.  There are a number of
projects that were originally external code, and for those, the
license is whatever it started as.  Since the SMBFS code is a
port of the FreeBSD SMBFS code, the license has been left alone.

As to the reintroduction of bugs, I seriously doubt it, since the
SMBFS follows the FreeBSD changes pretty religiously on its own.

-- Terry