Any reasons to change BSD scheduler: SCHED_4BSD to SCHED_ULE?

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Thu Dec 18 12:05:55 PST 2003

Nuno Teixeira wrote:

>Hello to all,
>
>I'm using 5.2 RC and I'd like to know if are good reasons to change my
>sheduler to the new one on a UP machine.

Well, just my $0.02, but last night, while doing some heavy cpu/io
stuff, I noticed that _ULE is in action - I was running mencoder, xmms,
ftp'ing a file locally (100mbit), using a handful of xterm's, and my
usual batch of stuff (netscape/mozilla, gaim, etc) - and I noticed the
machine (even though it was heavily loaded) was VERY responsive, and I
hardly even noticed any load on it at all.  Now, under SCHED_4BSD, I
definitely would have noticed..  I know because I went back to 4BSD for
a few days when trying to hunt down a bug, and that's when I realized
there really is a difference..

But, ymmv..

Eric