if_tun

Giovanni P. Tirloni gpt at tirloni.org
Thu Dec 18 04:11:42 PST 2003

* Ivan Voras (ivoras at fer.hr) wrote:
> If I understand correctly, loading if_tun.ko should make /dev/tun entry
> appear. But 'kldload if_tun' on 5.2RC1 writes following errors:

 It shouldn't. Those interfaces are created on demand. When you unload
 the module they are removed. If you've compiled it into your kernel
 they can't be removed.

> module_register: module if_tun already exists!
> Module iff_tun failed to register: 17
> can't re-use a leaf (if_tun_debug)!
>
> Subsequent 'kldstat' invocations show that if_tun.ko is loaded, but there is
> no /dev/tun.

 It seems you already have tun compiled in (device tun).

 --
 Giovanni P. Tirloni <gpt at tirloni.org>
 Fingerprint: 8C3F BEC5 79BD 3E9B EDB8  72F4 16E8 BA5E D031 5C26