5.2-RELEASE TODO

Munish Chopra chopra at soulwax.net
Mon Dec 15 10:08:29 PST 2003

On 2003-12-15 09:47 +0000, Peter Schultz wrote:
> Robert Watson wrote:
> >Testing focuses for 5.2-RELEASE
> >
> > +---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> > |    Issue     |   Status    |Responsible|           Description
> > |
> > |--------------+-------------+-----------+----------------------------------|
> > |              |             |           |The PCM audio framework and
> > device|
> > |              |             |           |drivers have been locked and
> > free |
> > |PCM locking   |             |           |of Giant for quite a while, but
> > |
> > |and           |Needs testing|--         |LOR problems persist along with
> > |
> > |performance   |             |           |reports of poor audio
> > performance |
> > |issues        |             |           |under load. These problems are
> > |
> > |              |             |           |believed to have been
> > corrected,  |
> > |              |             |           |but more testing is desired.
> > |
> > |--------------+-------------+-----------+----------------------------------|
> >
> This longstanding problem has now been fixed as far as I'm concerned.
> Xmms hasn't played mp3s without a hicup for me on -CURRENT since at
> least a year, if not two or more.  It's been so long I can't recall.
>
> I'm testing with a soundblaster live! value card:
> pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> port 0xef20-0xef3f irq 17 at device 17.0 on pci0
> pcm0: <SigmaTel STAC9721/23 AC97 Codec>
>
> I'm running a -CURRENT SMP kernel on a Tyan S1832DL w/dual PII 350s.  I
> only assume it's working with 5.2 RC1.

They haven't been corrected in my case, or the cases of quite a few
other folks experiencing them (see some of the other ongoing threads).

I'm not personally seeing any LOR's, but audio playback slows down under
load, and every few seconds I hear popping noises during audio playback,
whether under load or not.

I've got a simple SB16:
pcm0: <Creative CT5880-C> port 0xd800-0xd83f irq 5 at device 15.0 on
pci0
pcm0: <TriTech TR28602 AC97 Codec>

--
Munish Chopra