making devices in freebsd5

toxa postfix at sendmail.ru
Sun Dec 14 19:27:23 PST 2003

I don't know if freebsd-current maillist sutable for my question but let me
explain it.
When I use freebsd-4, I can include any device in kernel or load it as
module, and if there is no appropriate device in /dev I can use MAKEDEV
script to create it. The common example is 'watch' utility which requires
not only  'device snp' in kernel or 'kldload snp' but /dev/snp0 (snp1, etc)
also for working, so I go to /dev and type ./MAKEDEV snp0.
But FreeBSD5 is using devfs, and there is no MAKEDEV in it. I kldload snp
but cat't see /dev/snp? created, and I don't know how to create it by hand.
I was looking through snp, kldload, and watch manpages and freebsd maillist
archive but cannot see anything about this.
So how can I create appropriate device (snp0 actually) or which program
should do this for me?

Thanks