[RC1] ext2fs broken?

Matthias Andree ma at dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de
Sun Dec 14 15:32:29 PST 2003

Steve Kargl <sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu> writes:

> While it may be nice to transparently use ext2fs file systems,
> you are aware of the comment in /sys/conf/NOTES?

ext2fs used to work quite well on FreeBSD, it's only quite growse
recently, in 5.2. The ext2fs on-disk layout hasn't changed lately (well,
except for the journal which is transparent when Linux unmounted the
file system cleanly and the HTREE (something with the same goals as
dirhash) which isn't in wide use yet as it's only recently getting
stable in Linux).

FreeBSD 5.2 ext2fs currently only works if you do read-only mounts and
umount before shutting down.

--
Matthias Andree