SMP-stability with 5.2

Michael L. Squires mikes at siralan.org
Sun Dec 14 06:47:22 PST 2003

> How good is the SMP-stability on 5.2. I'm currently running 4.9 on some
> non-critical servers and I'm thinking of installing 5.2, how good is the
> SMPng now ?

I have one Supermicro P6DGH running SMP under 4.9-STABLE, and another
under 5.2-CURRENT; both are very reliable.  I'm considering switching
my nat box and server over to 5.2-RELEASE since all the various ports
I use are now compiling and executing out-of-the-box with 5.2-CURRENT.
The other reason for moving is that I'll have 5.x NFS everywhere, which
gets rid of the statd/lockd differences between 4.x and 5.x.

The only thing I'll miss is xperfmon3, which has to be revised to use the
new NFS structures (at least).

Mike Squires