pppoe broken (for me)

Christoph P. Kukulies kuku at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Dec 12 23:52:51 PST 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 04:23:16PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 07:07:39PM +0100, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> > I cvsuped yesterday and now I'm cut off from the net with
> > my home machine.
> >
> > the tun0 (DSL) link doesn't come up. All I can see is:
> >
> > Dec 12 19:01:03 www ppp[237]: tun0: Warning: Cannot create netgraph socket node:
> >  No such file or directory
> > Dec 12 19:01:08 www ppp[237]: tun0: Warning: tdsllink: PPPoE: unknown host
> > Dec 12 19:01:08 www ppp[237]: tun0: Warning: tdsllink: PPPoE: unknown host
> > Dec 12 19:01:08 www ppp[237]: tun0: Warning: tdsllink: Device (PPPoE:sis0) must
> > begin with a '/', a '!' or contain at least one ':
> >
> > in the logs.
>
> That looks like a very old bug that was fixed 6 months or more ago.
> Are you sure you have an up-to-date system?

Yes, I cvsuped. And buildworld ran through. But since installworld
did not run without glitches I manually did a make install in
usr.sbin/ppp and usr.sbin/libnetgraph, also rebuilt and installed
kernel once again. And now it seems that pppoe connects again.

But I still cannot get the ppp network running right from the start.
The network doesn't come up during boot. I have to start ppp
manually and then it does connect.

I don't know if something in the rc.network has changed but
during boot the system hangs in two places for very long so that
I have to ^C out.

First is after the message Recovering vi files, the other
after starting sendmail.

^Cing out has the consequence that the network stack isn't up and
sendmail isn't running.

I'm doing a mergemaster at the moment and see if it gets any better
after this.