Tracking down ata0 reset hang

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Thu Dec 11 15:36:13 PST 2003

Nate Lawson wrote:

> I have a laptop that suspends and resumes fine.  Soeren's patch to
> properly reset the hardware after the ATAng import fixed the problem where
> resuming would hang in ata0 reset with the hard drive light on.
>
> Sometime in the last month or two, the ATA reset phase of resume has begun
> hanging again with the drive light on and I can't break to the debugger.
> The interesting data point is that if I suspend/resume in single user
> mode, it works fine, including the reset.  But in multi-user mode, it
> hangs.  I'm trying to disable various services to see if any of them
> triggers the hang.
>
> Has anyone else seen this regression?

Hi Nate,

I know you've already replied to one of my previous emails on this subject,
but I thought I'd chime in with my info here just in case this thread actually
catches Soren's attention. :) I've been yelling about this regression as loud
as I dare without potentially annoying any developers capable of fixing it.
I even opened a PR (misc/59876).

Here are two of my most recent emails about it:

    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.current/35631

    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.current/35660

My laptop is an IBM Thinkpad A30p. Here's my boot -v dmesg.boot:

    http://www.wingnet.net/~jesse/freebsd-5.2-rc1.dmesg.boot

Also, I've noticed, like you, that I can suspend and resume fine as long as
apmd isn't running and the kernel doesn't try to "cleanly" reset the ATA channels.

I think it's an ATAng thing because my `acpiconf -s 3` worked in 5.1-RELEASE,
but now it too is busted in 5.2-BETA and 5.2-RC1.

And finally, I even went so far as to update my:

    /usr/src/sys/dev/ata/ata-lowlevel.c

To version 1.25 (5.2-RC1 ships with v1.24) from CVS and recompile my kernel,
but I still hang in the exact same way on resume.

Help! 5.2-RELEASE will be here soon!

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,