5.2-BETA: IA32 SMP: atkbd gone, lock order reversal swap_pager/uma_core

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Wed Dec 3 14:40:30 PST 2003

I have made some experiences on a Fujitsu-Siemens Primergy RX300
(Serverworks, Xeon with HyperThreading, MegaRAID) today. I was able to
boot the 5.2-BETA ISO from CD-RW after being unsuccessful with floppies
yesterday (not that I'd particularly trust floppies...)

Here's what I've found so far:

1. KEYBOARD LOST
   I need to explicitly escape to the loader prompt and
   set hint.atkbd.0.flags=0 -- with the default of 0x1, I am unable to
   use the keyboard (tried twice, without and with re-plugging the
   keyboard, to no avail). The exact reason is unknown, the machine has remote
   management hardware on board which might interfere.

Can this flags=0 be made the default or would that interfere with USB
keyboard and headless configurations?

2. LOCK ORDER REVERSAL
   I let the machine buildworld, build a kernel and cvsup ports+doc at
   the same time through screen. Both buildworld and the kernel make
   were launched with "-j2". The machine then caught a LOR, but it may
   have happened after these tasks completed, neither make nor the cvsup
   reported an error. Here's the dmesg:

FreeBSD 5.2-BETA #0: Tue Nov 25 08:24:08 GMT 2003
    root at wv1u.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
Preloaded elf kernel "/boot/kernel/kernel" at 0xc0a76000.
ACPI APIC Table: <PTLTD          APIC  >
Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz (2800.13-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf29  Stepping = 9
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Hyperthreading: 2 logical CPUs
real memory  = 536870912 (512 MB)
avail memory = 511750144 (488 MB)
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
 cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
 cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1
SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/amrd0s4a
Lock order reversal
 1st 0xc55acdec vm object (vm object) @ /usr/src/sys/vm/swap_pager.c:1323
 2nd 0xc098cf60 swap_pager swhash (swap_pager swhash) @ /usr/src/sys/vm/swap_pager.c:1838
 3rd 0xc10398c4 vm object (vm object) @ /usr/src/sys/vm/uma_core.c:876
Stack backtrace:
(no backtrace)

Since then, no further problems have been logged in the past three and a
half hours.

--
Matthias Andree