Strange pcm/network problem

Mathew Kanner mat at cnd.mcgill.ca
Wed Dec 3 11:37:42 PST 2003

	Peter,
	I'm afraid I haven't a clue why this happens to you but please
see my notes below.

On Dec 03, Peter Hofer wrote:
> since I installed 5.2-BETA, I've got a very strange problem. Always
> when I'm listening to some music and start a network transfer, both
> the music and the transfer stop after some time. Nothing is being
> received or sent any more, and the following message appears a few
> times:
>
> bfe0: watchdog timeout -- resetting
>
> This goes on until I exit xmms. When I exit xmms, after a few seconds
> the network works again. There's no problem in receiving and sending
> data then.
>
> I was able to reproduce this with mpg123, it just stops playing and
> exits when data is being sent over the network.

	And dmesg then says "pcm channel dead" ?

> The problem also persists when I'm using my rl nic instead of the
> onboard bfe chip.
>
> I'm using sources from yesterday (2003-11-02) now and this problem
> still occurs, no matter if sound support is loaded with kldload or
> compiled into the kernel.

	No need to try compiling PCM in the kernel, klds should work
exactly the same.

	I notice that your network cards, sound card and sio use IRQ
4, I also note that your aren't using acpi, what happens when you
enable it?

	A brief look at the ich code reveals that it's flagged as
mpsafe when it isn't, but since you are UP, I don't see this being the
cause.  I also vaguely remember that another OS had a note about
certain corner cases missing interrupts but I don't think that should
affect other irq handlers either.  I really am stumped.

	If we can't figure this out, you always do a binary search to
find the commit that caused it, though since I wouldn't likely do this
myself, I wouldn't expect you to.

	Input from others warmly received :)

	--mat

--
	Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living
	that wears you out.