Is booting/installing from USB CDROM considered supported?

Martin Nilsson martin at mullet.se
Tue Dec 2 23:11:38 PST 2003

Martin Nilsson wrote:

> I tried to install our CD/FDD-less servers from a CD-RW drive connected
> on the USB port,
> I'll try with a fresh 5.2-BETA later today and see what happens with it.
> in the meantime I just want to ask:

The 5.2-BETA CDROM hangs, it prints something like found /BOOT/LOADER
... and then nothing else happens.

Does anyone know what might be the problem and where one should look to
try to fix it?

The motherboard is a Supermicro P4SGE with an external 52x Asus CD-RW
unit. I have tried with and without USB FDD, no differnce. WinXP
installs as as usual (but very slowly) on this combination.

--
Martin Nilsson, CTO & Founder, Mullet Scandinavia AB, Malmö, SWEDEN
E-mail: martin at mullet.se, Phone: +46-(0)708-606170, Web: www.mullet.se

Our business is well engineered servers optimised for FreeBSD & Linux