40% slowdown with dynamic /bin/sh

Bob Willcox bob at immure.com
Tue Dec 2 14:19:50 PST 2003

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 01:43:16PM -0800, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> >Now, my machines usually get by themselves, but all *I* do on them is
> >sh(1) intensive, so I'll probably be using the static root option when
> >it comes time to upgrade them to 5.x.
>
> The static root option exists for people with special requirements:
>   * Use a lot of shell scripts
>   * Have very high performance requirements for those scripts
>   * Does not use LDAP, NIS, or other networked directory services
>     (I want to move NIS out of libc.  Its privileged position
>     relative to LDAP and other services is rather dated.)

What impact, if any, will this have on those of us that use NIS and
still want a statically linked root? I have been using NIS for years
and see no compelling reason to switch to LDAP (i.e., NIS satisfies my
needs, is configured, and working).

Bob

--
Bob Willcox          First Law of Procrastination:
bob at immure.com           Procrastination shortens the job and places the