BTX halts installing 5.x

Andy Fawcett andy at athame.co.uk
Tue Dec 2 09:51:14 PST 2003

Hi,

On Tuesday 02 December 2003 19:11, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> I'm trying to install FreeBSD on a Dual Pentium Pro 200mhz 512K cache
> system and I am getting the following error:

I just tried installing the same versions as you (only one recent
snapshot though) on my VS440FX based box, with the same results except
for the value of efl:

> int=00000005  err=00000000  efl=00019286  eip=0001c8a4
mine:                             00010286

> I've tried warm booting after this and I get the same results.  I've
> tried 5.0-RELEASE, 5.0-DP1, 5.1-RELEASE, and three different
> snapshots, all of which work fine on my other machines, including one
> other SMP box.  It's also worth noting that 4.8-RELEASE and
> 4.9-RELEASE install fine on this box.

This one is happily running 4.9, and has run everything from 4.3
upwards.

From 4.9:

CPU: Pentium Pro (199.43-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x619  Stepping = 9
  Features=0xf9ff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV>

> I've tried googling for a solution for this as well as perused the
> -CURRENT archives and haven't seen anything relevent to this issue.

Same here.

I've put the dmesg from 4.9 at http://hex.athame.co.uk/FreeBSD/dmesg.txt

It's not essential this box runs 5.x (it's my fileserver so I like some
stability), but I thought I would add something to show you aren't the
only one affected by this.

Cheers,

Andy
Andy Fawcett                                     | andy at athame.co.uk