IDE DVD playback on 5.1-CURRENT

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 29 10:11:36 PDT 2003

David O'Brien wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 01:29:22AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > 1)    dd if=/dev/acd0 count=1 of=/dev/null
> > 2)    dd if=/dev/acd0c count=1 of=/dev/null
> > 3)    dd if=/dev/acd0a count=1 of=/dev/null
>                                               ^^^^
>                                               bs=2k

Yes, sorry; I forgot that FreeBSD's dd does not stat its endpoints
to see if they are devices, and gets the st_blksize and insists
that it be used (at least internally) for S_IFBLK and S_IFCHR
values of st_mode.

Perhaps it should be unbroken by someone with a commit bit and/or
the ability to have their send-pr's not rejected as relay SPAM.

8-p.

-- Terry