nvidia.ko freezes system in -current

Andrew Atrens atrens at nortelnetworks.com
Fri Aug 29 08:44:34 PDT 2003

Hendrik Hasenbein wrote:

> Andrew Atrens wrote:
>
>> The combination that works for me (in -STABLE) is nvidia gart and no
>> hacks.  I spent some time trying to get Matt Dodd's os agp to work,
>> again in -STABLE, and while it does probe and attach the agp
>> correctly - and from what I could tell seems to follow the linux code
>> very closely - I can't get the nvidia driver to work with it.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Andrew.
>>
> Thx.
> Ok, I thought that was the problem behind the attach problem. If it is
> bogus why can't the driver attach to the memory resource?

The nvidia probe code gets invoked for every pci device discovered on
the bus.  The can't-attach-memory-resource thing essentially means that
the driver is trying to attach to a device that isn't a graphics card.

> '/boot/loader.conf' already contains
> 'hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range="1"'

I don't run -current, so I'm not exactly sure what this does :( ...

> In which order do you load the modules?

I just load -

kernel
linux.ko
nvidia.ko

and that's it.  It's important to note that I do not have 'device agp'
in my kernel.

Andrew.